Tuesday, September 22, 2009

PointUI Spices Up Windows Mobile

Windows Mobile isn't exactly the prettiest operating system on the block. Sure it gets the job done, but is it too much to ask for a little form with my function? PointUI, a free skinning application for Windows Mobile, wants to help me out. PointUI brings an attractive and elegant interface to Windows Mobile's clunky program list and home screen, and makes your Windows Mobile device a bit more of a pleasure to use.






I simply can't stand the look of Windows Mobile's default UI. I carry a Motorola Q around for work, and while the interface is simple and functional, it's just not pretty. The home screen tries to squash together my upcoming calendar appointments, number of unread e-mail messages, and other information on the same screen--and unfortunately makes all of it unreadable. PointUI replaces all of that with a few simple icons and a sparse home screen that shows me where to go to get the information I want instead of trying to put it all in the same view.

PointUI isn't for everyone. It doesn't work with some smartphones and PDAs. And because the app was designed for touch-screen devices, it didn't take too well to my Motorola Q, which has a directional pad instead of a touch-screen. You should definitely check the forums before downloading it to your Windows Mobile device and expecting it to work smoothly. The app is in beta, so there are still kinks to work out, but if your threshold for bleeding-edge apps is high and you dislike the Windows Mobile interface as much as I do, PointUI is worth a try.



PointUI skins just about every aspect of Windows Mobile. You'll have to see the traditional Windows Mobile interface some of the time, but the most often-used screens, such as the home screen and the settings screens, have been redesigned to be much more attractive and to scroll smoothly between views. Additionally, if you do have a touch-screen device, PointUI turns up the touch sensitivity so you don't have to use a stylus to click on items. Instead, finger-swipes (a la the iPhone) will work just fine.

The designers behind PointUI claim that their focus is simplicity, elegance, and ease of use. I saw those characteristics show through when I tried PointUI, and I'll wait patiently for it to support my Q; my friend with an AT

No comments:

Post a Comment