Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Skinny on Centro

I've been sucking up Microsoft Kool Aid for the last three days at the Windows Server 2008 Reviewer's Technical Workshop (geez, they can't even give their meetings short names anymore). I'll have a few posts on key new Server 2008 features here later, but figured I'd do a quick Centro post since Microsoft formally announced the thing today.

For those who don't know, Centro is Microsoft's codename for a new server platform that brings the Small Business Server idea to medium-sized businesses. So SBS is aimed at 50 users or less, Centro is aimed at 250 users or less. The formal name is Windows Essential Business Server and here's some key features and a few screens:

(1) This thing will live or die based on its interface. The idea is to give an IT generalist, like yours truly, an all-in-one management interface that lets me give my network users everything they need without me needing to learn lots of new server technologies. Actually pretty challenging when you think that this has to include not just basic network user management, but also messaging (including mobile), security

No comments:

Post a Comment