Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Smart Ratings Helps You Choose Great Products

Sometimes you need a second opinion when you're buying electronics. Dozens of sites offer comprehensive reviews and hands-on testing of all the latest gadgets and gear (such as Gearlog!), but the happiest consumers are often the most educated, and that means reading more than one review before making a purchase. Smart Ratings helps you find expert reviews from around the Web, rate them, sort them by how valuable they are, and build a list of trusted reviewers so you never buy blindly again.





I usually don't buy anything without checking out expert reviews first. For example, I'm looking for a pair of solid noise-canceling headphones (my office can get really loud sometimes), and I've found myself reading tons of reviews and lab tests. And I still haven't settled on the pair I want. If I had known about Smart Ratings before I started my search, I could have compared the headphones I'm considering more easily.



When you type in the name of a product in the search bar, you're taken to a list of matching search results. If you're shopping for a type of product and not a specific item, you can click for a category list of all of the reviewed items in the category.



For example, I'm interested in a GPS for my car. If I want some suggestions, I can click the GPS category to see a list of devices that have earned high ratings from the experts that have reviewed them. Item prices are listed right next to the average expert review (from 0 to 100).



Click the item to get more detailed information about it, and to see what the experts who reviewed it gave it in the way of scores at each of the technology sites that Smart Reviews pulls its information from. The average of these scores makes up the Smart Reviews rating and determines its rank in its category. Smart Reviews searches the Web for reviews from sites such as PCMag and CNET; next to each reviewer, you can see the score that they gave the item, and you can click through to see the full review. Each expert reviewer also has "experience," which is listed under their names on each review page--you can see how many GPS units the site has reviewed, for example, or how many digital cameras. That way you can decide whether to take the review to heart or with a grain of salt.

If you're convinced by what you see at Smart Ratings, you can click to buy the item right away. The site partners with a number of vendors, from CDW to Circuit City, and the prices listed at Smart Ratings are competitive. Since Smart Reviews scrubs the Web for reviews and opinions, you don't have to flounder looking for a review site that specializes in GPS devices or portable hard drives; you can just visit Smart Reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment